Ultra Thin Perfect Bound Books
Routinely, Allied Bindery is asked how thin of a book can be perfect bound. One of our specialties is producing ultra thin perfect bound books. We routinely bind books down to 1/16” thick. There are several planning items to keep in mind when considering a book bulk that is this thin:
- Cover weight is very important when considering an ultra thin book. The heavier the cover weight, the more likelihood that the first and last page of the book block will be pulled away by the side glue, leaving an unsightly gap in the book spine. Cover weight for ultra thin books should never exceed 10 pt. and will ideally be less.
- A higher basis weight text paper will help allow lower page count books to be perfect bound. However, keep in mind that the higher the text basis weight, the less layflat characteristic will be evident in the final book.
- Cover design should accommodate the ultra thin requirement. It is not wise to plan for a color break exactly on the spine and either front or back panel of the book cover. On books this thin, cover placement variation as small as 1/64” will be quite evident if a solid color break is planned into the design.
- Spine type should not be incorporated into a thin book design.
- PUR adhesive is the only choice that should be considered for ultra thin books. The very nature of the thin book design results in a small amount of adhesive on the book spine. PUR adhesive will provide the strength to hold the book together.
Contact your Allied Bindery Sales or Estimating Representative to request assistance to help you build an ultra thin perfect bound book.
A core value of Allied Bindery is to communicate on an on-going basis with our industry friends. Our objective is to share insight and observations considered valuable and helpful for our customers, helping them to provide an ever-increasing value proposition to their customers.
Allied Bindery is a premier trade bindery located in Madison Heights, Michigan, celebrating more than 20 years of servicing your bindery requirements.