Perfect binding is a cost effective, attractive way to bind books, catalogs, magazines and manuals. Our perfect binding services include:
- PUR Binding
- Layflat Binding (a.k.a. Otabind)
- Hot Melt Adhesive Binding
- Tape Binding
Our binding capabilities include:
- 1/16” minimum book thickness
- 2 3/8” maximum book thickness
- In Line Book Saws for Two-Up finished binding
- Multiple Up capability
- Small trim size options
- Large format binding with maximum trim size up to 11” x 17”
- Gate-fold and double gate-fold covers
- Up to 28 forms in a single binding pass
PUR ADHESIVE BINDING
PUR (polyurethane) adhesive differs from conventional hot melt in that it cures by cross linking via a chemical reaction with moisture contained in paper stock or surrounding air. Once cured, the adhesive’s higher molecular weight provides a tough, pliable bond that is resistant to temperature extremes. PUR adhesive delivers distinct performance benefits over typical binding adhesive.
PUR adhesive is the best choice for:
- Cross grain, coated, recycled and synthetic stocks.
- Improving layflat characteristics by reducing application thicknesses to half that of conventional hotmelts, while generating improved bonding results.
- Resisting the effects of extreme temperatures, maintaining bonding attributes from -45F (-43C) to 200F (93C) after curing.
- Subjects the book block to less heat by using a lower application temperature.
- Increased Page-Pull and Page-Flex values.
Allied Bindery has been a leader in implementing the use of PUR adhesive and application technology. We were the first trade bindery to introduce PUR adhesive in the Upper Midwest region. We were the first bindery in North America to successfully implement PUR extrusion application technology.
Books bound with the layflat method (also known as Otabind) open completely and stay open when placed on a table or flat surface. Layflat binding is a cost effective alternative to mechanical binding methods such as plastic coil or wire binding. In a regular perfect bound book, the cover is glued to the pages of the book along the spine and, unless the reader presses the book flat and inverts the spine, the book will not lay flat but will have a tendency to flop over and close. In layflat perfect binding, the inside edges of the book pages are not glued to the spine but float away from it due to the application of a piece of cloth that holds the pages together independently of the cover. Read more about layflat binding here.
When your project needs to open and lay perfectly flat, mechanical binding is the best choice. Whether you require Twin Loop (Wire-O) or Plastic Coil, mechanical binding is an excellent option for cookbooks, calendars, instruction manuals or diaries. Mechanical binding styles also provide the opportunity for extended tabs, pocket folder covers, short pages, fold outs and other design attributes that allow you to specialize your project. Read more about mechanical binding services here.
- Multiple Up stitching
- Two-Up in-line trimming
- Soft-fold after stitching and trimming
- Loop Stitching
- Small format designs
ADDITIONAL FINISHING SERVICES
At Allied Bindery, we utilize computerized cutting systems capable of precision cutting at high production speeds. From in-line weigh scales to robotic palletizing, speed and accuracy is the name of the game.
- Gate folding
- Double gate folding
- Double parallel folding
- Accordion folding
- Roll folding
- Signature and Right Angle folding
- In Line Scoring and Perforating
- Fugitive Gluing
- Calendar tinning
- 3- to 7-hole drilling
- Shrink wrapping
- Round cornering
- Index tabbing