Allied Bindery’s leadership and expertise is rooted in its core philosophy and company mission to “continuously pursue excellence, providing customers with the best speed, service, and solutions available in the marketplace.”
We have embraced and implemented lean manufacturing principles in all its operations and business processes. These principles include JIT manufacturing, synchronous make-ready techniques, and extensive error proofing technology implementation…to name just a few.
Allied’s team has decades of finishing and commercial printing expertise. With a thorough understanding of the entire process, Allied’s early involvement in projects helps ensure robust product designs that minimize supply chain costs and maximize customer value.
Allied’s leadership and expertise is shared with our customers through
- Education based seminars.
- Periodic e-mail correspondence that provide finishing design and process tips.
- Technical reference papers on our website.
- Blog post updates regarding industry and market news.
- Plant tours.
All we do is designed to provide our team with the tools they need to better serve our customers.
Allied Bindery’s expertise is best exemplified by our extensive, industry leading implementation of error proofing technologies throughout the manufacturing processes. We view these technologies as “killer apps”—they kill problems before they ever have the chance to reach our customers. These technologies include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Integrated, computer controlled digital cameras to ensure correct signature pagination and book block registration
- Integrated electronic sensors and mechanical calipers to automatically detect incorrect signature pocket feeds
- Integrated electronic flow meter technology to ensure precise dispensing of adhesive
- In-line electronic weight scales used to continuously validate production product to first off sample approval.
- Integrated electronics that automatically shut down production equipment when triggered by error proofing devices
- Integrated diversion systems that automatically segregate non-conforming product from the quality approved production stream
FIRST IN THE INDUSTRY
Leadership is action oriented, trailblazing, and setting standards. Allied Bindery was the first trade bindery in Michigan to:
- Implement the use of PUR adhesive, improving binding strength and flexibility when using difficult paper stocks
- Enact a computer controlled PUR adhesive delivery and validation system to improve set up times, reduce waste, and ensure application quality
- Apply digital camera signature recognition systems to ensure pagination integrity
- Execute high speed, check weighing systems to validate book weights and form counts during the binding process
- Design and implement high speed video cameras and associated software solution to detect and remove mis-registered book blocks from the binding production stream
Over the years, Allied has often served as a beta test site, working with equipment and material vendors in jointly developing these quality based, application technologies, serving as an industry leader in implementation. As an example, Allied has partnered with its adhesive supplier in a long term R & D project to improve PUR adhesive performance characteristics, helping to develop the next generation of PUR products.
The results? They speak for themselves. Over the years, Allied has won numerous awards for our workmanship. Allied was recognized by a southeast Michigan based printer, operating globally, as its 2009 and 2010 “Supplier of the Year”; in March, 2010, one of the leading, national trade organizations in the graphic arts industry recognized Allied Bindery in its feature publication; in April, 2010, the Detroit Club of Printing House Craftsmen in its gallery of Superb Printing competition awarded Allied its “Best of Specialty” award. In 2010, The Printing Industries of Michigan recognized Allied for three Gold Ink Awards, and most recently in April, 2011, the Detroit Club of Printing House Craftsmen in its gallery of Superb Printing competition awarded Allied its “Best of Category” award.
QUALITY CULTURE—LEADERSHIP IN ACTION
Allied Bindery is serious about our commitment to achieve a “zero defect” environment. We have invested heavily in cutting edge error proofing systems using both industry available and custom designed technology. As a result, we ensure that we meet and exceed your expectations. We have been leaders in the identification and implementation of quality and error proofing systems. Our accomplishments:
- First trade bindery in the Upper Midwest to
- Achieve ISO certification
- Implement OptiGraph Digital Camera Signature Recognition Systems on perfect binding lines
- Integrate high speed computerized weigh scales into perfect binding lines
- Design and integrate high speed video cameras into perfect binding lines to detect and remove skewed or mis-registered books from the production stream
- First bindery in North America to
- Successfully install computer controlled PUR extrusion application technology on perfect binding lines
- Implement a ProControl Adhesive application sensor and measurement system on perfect binding lines
Please join us for a tour to see how we validate pagination, registration, adhesive application, page counts, and more.
Contact us. Let us put our leadership and expertise to work for you!